Résumé | المناهج الذاتية
For a downloadable version of my résumé, please click here.
EDUCATION | تعليم
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY, Baton Rouge, LA | GPA: 3.93 | May 2014
LSU Honors College
Bachelor of Arts, International Studies
Concentration: Middle East & Global Diplomacy
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
Concentration: International Politics
Minors: Arabic, Religious Studies & History
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE | الخبرة البحثية
UPPER DIVISION HONORS THESIS RESEARCH
Supervised by Touria Khannous, Ph.D. and Reem Meshal, Ph.D | Spring 2013 - Spring 2014
Topic: "Media Discourse and the Arab Spring" (In Progress)
INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE | الخبرة الدولية
CRITICAL LANGUAGE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM, Tangier, Morocco | Summer 2013
Intensive Arabic Language Study Abroad, Arab-American Language Institute in Morocco
- Studied intermediate-level Fus’ha Arabic and Darija dialect for eight weeks, using both daily.
- Completed a research project on the Arab Spring and presented it in Arabic to a peer panel.
- Assisted on a volunteer basis with literacy and culinary classes offered to Moroccan women by the American Legation in Tangier, giving local women a safe community in which to learn marketable skills.
INTERNATIONAL SERVICE TRIP TO NICARAGUA, Chinandega, Nicaragua | Spring 2010
- Assisted in constructing homes for environmental refugees displaced by Hurricane Mitch in the Villa Catalina Community, giving local families access to water and sanitation, education and nutrition, community development, health care and small business opportunities.
- Led local students in art classes and provided other necessary services.
HONORS & AWARDS | الأوسمة والجوائز
Rhodes Scholarship Finalist, District XII, Class of 2013 | Fall 2013
British Marshall Scholarship Finalist, Southwestern Region, Class of 2013 | Fall 2013
Honors College Outstanding Junior Award | May 2013
- Chosen out of 150 Honors College Juniors
James Bolner Outstanding Student Award for Undergraduate Majors in Political Science | May 2013
- Chosen out of over 500 Political Science Majors
Tiger Athletic Foundation Scholarship Supporting Honors Thesis Research | May 2013
George Warren Bofinger Endowed Scholarship | Fall 2013
Golden Oaks Scholarship | Fall 2010 - May 2014
Honors Societies | Fall 2010 - Present
- Omicron Delta Kappa – Alpha Nu Circle, Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society, National Residence Hall Honorary, Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society, Alpha Lamda Delta National Honor Society
LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE | تجربة قيادة
Honors College Resident Assistant, Laville Honors Residential College | Fall 2011 - May 2014
- Worked as an upperclassmen mentor, community builder and emergency responder in the Laville Honors Residence Hall. Served on the Social Justice, Sustainability, Team Development and Training committees, collaborating with other RAs to coordinate dozens of campus-wide programs and events.
Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society, Vice-President of Service | Fall 2013 - Present
- Coordinated a series of service events for ODK members, including an organization-wide visit to the Boys and Girls Club. Collaborated with the other members of the executive board to contact speakers for monthly meetings.
National Residence Hall Honorary, President and Vice President of Membership | Fall 2012 - Present
- Co-Chaired a regional housing conference on LSU’s campus, which included organizing a campus-wide supply drive for East Baton Rouge Public Schools. Collaborated extensively with the executive board to promote academic excellence, service, recognition and leadership within LSU’s Residence Halls.
Honors College Peer Leader | Fall 2012, 2013
- Led 30 first-year students in an Honors orientation course designed to introduce students to service, leadership, research, social awareness and academic success strategies through mentorship.
International Relations Club, Model UN & Model Arab League | Fall 2012 - Present
- Attended regional Model UN and Model Arab League conferences, researched contemporary humanitarian, political and economic issues in the Middle East, developed conflict resolution and critical thinking skills by working with others to draft solutions to the problems.
Vice-Chancellor’s Advisory Board for Student Life & Enrollment, Representative | Fall 2012 - Present
- Represented the interests of students in LSU’s Residence Halls on behalf of the Department of Residential Life at monthly meetings.
Honors College Advocate | Fall 2012 - Present
- Recruited academically motivated high school students, assisted incoming freshman with the transition to college, advised first-year students to aid in retention and academic success, and promoted the Honors College program.
Southern District of Mississippi Federal Court, Law Clerk, Gulfport, Mississippi | Summer 2011, 2012 Magistrate Judge Hon. John M. Roper, (40 Hours/Week)
- Shadowed the Judge and lawyers during court proceedings and settlement conferences, assisted with vital document processing, analyzed, granted and denied in forma pauperis requests, authored Reports and Recommendations.
Henry Clay Center for Statesmanship Student Congress, Louisiana Representative | Summer 2012
- Selected to represent the state of Louisiana at a weeklong conference in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Built statesmanship and bipartisan diplomatic skills through intensive activities and workshops in diplomacy, negotiation, mediation and oral communication. Culminated in a final project presentation.
ZanZana Arabic Club, Founder and Member | Spring 2011 - Spring 2012
- Founded the ZanZana Arabic Club, an organization designed to promulgate the Arabic language and foster an appreciation of the language, culture and related experience.
Student Conduct Board | Fall 2010 - Spring 2011
- Served on a peer level appellate board to hear cases regarding violations of Residential Life policies in order to bring about awareness of policy rationale and diminish repeat offenses.
The header photograph was taken by Logan de La Barre-Hays in Asilah, Morocco.
All photographs and images used on this website are the property of Logan de La Barre-Hays, and are subject to copyright.